• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Old 2008-08-17, 08:50 AM   #21
optimusskids
Primus

UK

Pretenders

one plausible explanation would be for fashion.

Needlenose:"Bored of being stuck in the same old rut, VR not giving you the thrill that it used to want to try something new then go Organic , slip inside our carefully tailored organic armour and mingle with organic creatures. Experience their strange exotic feelings and emotions, experience , love romance, food taste exotic spices."

Dial O800 -NEEDLENOSE

and for those who want to sample the more exotic look out for our upcoming range of monsterware, opening up many more alien cultures, coming soon to a mall near you.

optimusskids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 01:31 PM   #22
Blackjack
Micromaster

If I were to rewrite the TF history...

Micromasters & Minibots
These will be one of the first topic to be touched upon by me.
Well, most of the time, the war begins over energy crisis. In my universe, the Autobots invent Minibots (Bumblebee et al) and the Throttlebots as energy efficient bots. Later the Decepticons invent the Micromasters first, and the Autobots follow suit, etc etc.

Triple/six changers
They are 'mutants' engineered by Shockwave, who created the Omnibots and Duocons first. 'Nuff said.

Headmasters
I would prefer the IDW version, where Scorponok is an outlaw and injured, therefore forcing him to enter an alliance with the Nebulan people. They capture an Autobot (Chromedome?) and experiment on him before creating a body for Zarak (also mortally injured, blah blah) and combine them. Thus the Headmasters are born.

Targetmasters
I won't do those 'binary bonding' stuff with Targetmasters. The 'guns' are an elite group of Micromasters who change into guns and can be wielded by ANY larger Transformer. except Misfire.

Pretenders
Pretenders use those freaky shells for protection in a planet with radiation. It is pioneered by mad scientist... Wheeljack! The Autobot human shells will be freaky aliens.

Powermasters
This doesn't make sense. Humans turning into engines? In my universe the little guys will be tiny Micromasters able to store energy and boost the larger Powermsters when linked with them. Kinda like the Minicons.

Action Masters
Are not Action Masters. Instead they transform. (Kick-Off is a car, Rollout is a car, Skyfall is a jet, Treadshot is a gun, etc)

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 02:58 PM   #23
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Smile

Okay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
(and why they'd place the important, sentient part is such a vulnerable position, rather than being Spleenmasters or Arsemasters).
Right. So we mesh the notion of Headmasters and Powermasters. Powermasters are HMs, but with the human component tucked away as a control centre (or "engine") round the back somewhere.

Not unlike the Godmaster premise.

Workable?

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 04:44 PM   #24
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

I thought "the Godmaster concept" was "let's have human truckers, racing car drivers and the like fight our wars while we bugger off"?

Nah, I'm still having trouble seeing why the TFs would permanently need to involve a secondary organic being (I mean, the PMs surely should have had the operation reversed once they were clear of Nebulos, regardless of what Furman leapt on ultimately... always found it curious that the merging of personalities and what have you never got a mention for anyone else - well, not curious, we all know exactly why, but y'know...).

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 05:28 PM   #25
Sunstreaker2
It's a Gundam!

Trumbauersville, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
If I were to rewrite the TF history...

Micromasters & Minibots
These will be one of the first topic to be touched upon by me.
Well, most of the time, the war begins over energy crisis. In my universe, the Autobots invent Minibots (Bumblebee et al) and the Throttlebots as energy efficient bots. Later the Decepticons invent the Micromasters first, and the Autobots follow suit, etc etc.

Triple/six changers
They are 'mutants' engineered by Shockwave, who created the Omnibots and Duocons first. 'Nuff said.

Headmasters
I would prefer the IDW version, where Scorponok is an outlaw and injured, therefore forcing him to enter an alliance with the Nebulan people. They capture an Autobot (Chromedome?) and experiment on him before creating a body for Zarak (also mortally injured, blah blah) and combine them. Thus the Headmasters are born.

Targetmasters
I won't do those 'binary bonding' stuff with Targetmasters. The 'guns' are an elite group of Micromasters who change into guns and can be wielded by ANY larger Transformer. except Misfire.

Pretenders
Pretenders use those freaky shells for protection in a planet with radiation. It is pioneered by mad scientist... Wheeljack! The Autobot human shells will be freaky aliens.

Powermasters
This doesn't make sense. Humans turning into engines? In my universe the little guys will be tiny Micromasters able to store energy and boost the larger Powermsters when linked with them. Kinda like the Minicons.

Action Masters
Are not Action Masters. Instead they transform. (Kick-Off is a car, Rollout is a car, Skyfall is a jet, Treadshot is a gun, etc)
Rollout's not a car. Judging by his design, he's definitely some sort of front end loader.

No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Sunstreaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 06:21 PM   #26
Halfshell

Smile

Was it necessary to quote the entire post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Nah, I'm still having trouble seeing why the TFs would permanently need to involve a secondary organic being
Mmm. But solving the location problem of the Headmaster principle by moving them to somewhere else basically creates what a Powermaster is. At least superficially, once bereft of explanation and backstory (which is essentially what we're doing).

We say one of the silliest things about Headmasters is why they're the head... so, okay, they aren't. We move them to the engine. Now we just have to incorporate the HM concept into the anatomy of a Powermaster.

Old 2008-08-17, 08:08 PM   #27
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Well, if we must have a squishy bastard running the show, there's no reason whatever control interfaces and visual apparatus can't be moved with them - a TF's eyes are basically uber-sophisticated cameras, and patching someone into the various sensors shouldn't be a problem. Hell, if a bunch of lunatics can do it for Tetsujin 28... only question then is why your organic companion isn't in a bunker 15,000 miles away...

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 08:26 PM   #28
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

One thing that occurred whilst reading the last Spotlight was to wonder why the Brain Module (or whatever its called this week) has to be in the same place all the time anyway. Presumably it wouldn't be that hard to move it about a lot to make the obvious target less... well obvious.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 09:05 PM   #29
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

I don't see why the head is so much more vulnerable than any other part to have the "brain", tbh. Assuming that's where the "brain" of every other TF is, all TFs would be just as vulnerable to getting killed that way.

It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to move the partner to somewhere in the body as the TF is much more likely to get shot there than anywhere else.

Anyway, so are we pretty much agreeing that there isn't really a way to make the Powermaster concept work plausibly? That it works better as Godmasters instead?

Last edited by Hound; 2008-08-18 at 08:03 AM. Reason: ...because it didn't make as much sense before
Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 03:47 AM   #30
Blackjack
Micromaster

Question

NO, no godmasters. What, we're supposed to let humans riding big giant transtectors take the center stage? No way, no how. The concept is ridiculous-- how could a group of teeny tiny humans wage a battle against robots that are thousands of years old, with experiences etc?

As 'how to kill a transformer', Simon Furman says at the back of the Devastation TPB that if either the head (computing system-- same with brain) or the spark ('soul') is offed or destroyed, the TF dies, kaputs.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 12:10 PM   #31
Halfshell

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound View Post
Anyway, so are we pretty much agreeing that there isn't really a way to make the Powermaster concept work plausibly? That it works better as Godmasters instead?
Pretty much, I think, yeah.

People's issues with mecha-pilot notions aside, it's far more sensible than the Western contrivance.

Old 2011-11-01, 06:54 PM   #32
Vin Ghostal
Gave you a concussion

Making his summer residence in Alexandria, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
In most cases that's their own fault for choosing such poor third modes, isn't it? The only one who's a threat in every mode is Blitzwing -- his attack on Hot Rod and Daniel in the movie really illustrates what a triplechanger can do (assuming they're less of an idiot that he was, anyway).
Yeah, and let's not forget that he used rapid changes between his three modes to easily dispense with four Autobot cars in "Triple Takeover."

Vin Ghostal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 07:04 PM   #33
Dodgebot
Protoform

London

I definately would have firstly made sure that in the TF:TM;

1) The deaths clearly shown
2) The Gestalts clearly added to the main battles
3) Proper Optimus Prime Burial

For season 4, forgotton rebirth, and gone along with the Jap ideas more, and converted it to a US full 4th season.

The main thing woulda been anything that would have made the original G1 episodes carry on, perhaps a rich company owning it from the start!

Dodgebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 06:16 AM   #34
relak
Dinobot

its interesting how im looking through this thread and some of the ideas HAVE made their way into official TF fiction

relak is offline   Reply With Quote