Transformers: More than Meets the Eye Season One #1-22

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Yeah, Milne needs to be careful. He works much better of other peoples designs - his own stuff just becomes a bit too generic gundam for my liking.

As for Ratchet, yeah he is fierce grumpy. Might as well give him the "Bones" nickname and be done with it.
Terome

Post by Terome »

It is out and I have read it.

Straightforward and well-executed from top to bottom. There's a rushed panel here and an extraneous bit of dialogue there but everything is unfolding nicely. The most dramatic sequence was Cyclonus' account of the civil war to Tailgate. Was that a convoluted Zetas (Mexican drug cartel) / Zeta Prime (supervillain President) reference in the background of that page? And Sentinel grabbing the Matrix away from Nominus while he was in hospital?

Loved how Rodimus did something admittedly pretty cool and then immediately let it go straight to his pointy little head.

I've a hunch that Skids isn't actually Skids. Something is way, way, up with the resident action hero. Incidentally, what's the musical reference with 'Skids and Swerve?' Is that another Dexy's Midnight Runners thing?

Turbofoxes look like Digimon. Who knew?
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

It's not often you get standalone issues like this in a Transformers comic (hell, in any mainstream comic for that matter), instead of 1/6th of some decompressed story arc.

So long as we don't forget why Rodimus and company left Cybertron to begin with, I think this series will do just fine -- though I suppose it might've been a bit too soon for a diversion.

Overall; Fun as always. A not at all 'traditional' Transformers story (the issue and the series), which is a definite plus in my book.

---

Notes 'n' stuff....

Shock (or Ore) -- As mean as it was, I did find it amusing how everyone was making light of Shock's murder, even as they stood over his corpse. And still, no one can get either of the Duobot's names right. Is this one of those 'meta' moments, where the main cast has a laugh at the expense of the red shirt because they know he's a red shirt?

I'm not sure how I was supposed to respond to that scene, to be honest. Clearly not as dramatic as one would assume, what with all the offhand remarks and talk about Cybertronian urban myths...

Now that we know that he and Ore were Prowl's agents, I'm wondering if they were assigned to do more than attach tracers to the engines. Prowl did instruct them to load some unknown cargo on board the Lost Light.

Tailgate and Cyclonus's conversation -- Cyclonus has a very unique and interesting perspective on the Autobot/Decepticon war. It's understandably taken out of context given where he and Tailgate have been the past 6 million years (Sigh, really? 6 million? [/rolleyes]).

And Tailgate's naivete is just precious. D'awww, he wants to be a Decepticon.

On a side note, I hope Cyclonus's head-protrusion thingies are repaired at some point. It's petty, I know, but the lopsidedness bugs me.

Skids -- More of an observation than anything, but I do find it a bit odd that no one seems the least bit curious, and maybe a little concerned, how Skids (last issue) happened to find the Lost Light. The universe is an awfully big place after all. I know all will be revealed in time - and when the crew has a moment to do so - but, I dunno, it bears investigating I would think, especially since he doesn't remember how he got there.

Swerve -- My nickname at the academy was "Shut the hell up." I love it. Mainly because I can identify. I've known people just like Swerve in real-life, and that is essentially my reaction to them ;)

At any rate, aside from that highly quotable moment, Roberts managed to rein Swerve in a little. The gag-a-minute schtick from the previous issue, while truly funny, I have to confess was running the risk of losing its charm. It's much more moderate here.
Terome wrote:Incidentally, what's the musical reference with 'Skids and Swerve?' Is that another Dexy's Midnight Runners thing?
Not sure, now that you mention it. Though, my initial reaction was 'roadside gag'.

Rung -- Aww. He must have a permanent 'kick me' sign taped to his back or something. I had a feeling this was going to be a recurring theme. And speaking of potential running gags....

The First Rule of Interstellar Travel -- Ore, A Sparkeater, Rodimus's arms; I wonder what or who else the crew will meld into the quantum generator?

Rodimus -- About damn time he had his moment to shine. He is the captain, after all. Probably not what you'd call a model captain, of course. But then, that's what makes him so interesting. He's reckless and hotheaded, he's not at all humble...he's flawed.

Incidentally, he hasn't done the best job keeping to that promise of his. Under his watch, the death toll is now up to 5. Mind, all five were generics, and everyone knows that generics don't have feelings. Or souls either...because, you know, the Sparkeater ate them.

Random 'Bots standing about -- Didn't mention this last issue, but there are a lot of named characters standing and wandering about who've yet to utter a single word. Understandable considering the already large core cast, and I'm tickled pink that a lot of these guys are getting some long overdue exposure, but at the same time I'm also seeing characters here who you'd think would have some interesting things to contribute to the story.

Sunstreaker immediately comes to mind, what with his history. Or slightly more strange, Xaaron, who was previously established as a member of High Command (and who I didn't even realize was on board the Lost Light until now). Perceptor finally piped up, though. And we actually got to see his face this issue ;)
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Picked this up today along with hardback Last Stand of the Wreckers (eeeeeeeee!!!!) and Infestation 2 part 2. Its (somewhat) interesting to compare MTMTE with Infestation - not so much in the settings or characters but more in the quality of the script and certainly the characters. Infestation 2 lacks any of the fun of the first one and as its not set in the current universe the attachment to the characters is purely based on whether you watched the G1 cartoon or not.

But enough of that rubbish.

MTMTE #3 is a damn lovely comic book. Milnes art slips a little on some bits but overall is still going strong - he has nailed the Roche designs, its only with his own designs that things look a bit off. Ore and Shock being the worst offenders. The Panel showing the war through the eyes of Cyclonus is just lovely (and yes, I also hope he gets that horn fixed soon.)

This felt a more focused issue and so far the closest to the star trek type TV show feel that I think Roberts is aiming for. I like that the next issue is also a whole new story focusing on other characters. So what we have are arcs for the characters to evolve over time but the main focus would appear to be on a 2-3 part contained story. And I gotta say that I think thats much better than a constant "This is the BIG story" feel of stuff like furmans work.
Skids -- More of an observation than anything, but I do find it a bit odd that no one seems the least bit curious, and maybe a little concerned, how Skids (last issue) happened to find the Lost Light. The universe is an awfully big place after all. I know all will be revealed in time - and when the crew has a moment to do so - but, I dunno, it bears investigating I would think, especially since he doesn't remember how he got there.
I think I raised this point in the thread for #2 but it does seem to be a bit of a miss-fire that the Lost Light is miles from cybertron, totally lost and yet nobody seems too concerned with an Autobot that everyone thought dead showing up out of the blue. Also no follow up with the 1984 robots. Not a bad thing as such but I was kinda hoping they would be explained and dismissed sooner rather than later.

Other than that though the rest of the issues zips along with some nice scenes with all the main cast. Some may claim that Ratchet is too cranky but I like it as he has been through quite a bit (in IDW and other continuities). He needed a fresh lick of character. Whirl and Cyclonus are both nicely done (Whirls pretending the door was locked was quite funny), Tailgate is very intriguing (the half transformation mode was done really well) and the background main cast like Brainstorm, Chromedome and Rung are kept bubbling under. What is in that case?

Another good issue then. And compared to what we were getting from Costa, this is pure gold. Sure, there may be stuff that doesnt always click as its meant to. But its overall a really enjoyable read and I hope that IDW leave Roberts (and barber) to mostly their own devices.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Although he's barely existed I miss 'party Ratchet'. Tech spec love and all that, and yes the humour comes from other characters which is more than fine... but I'd like an extremely dark Hawkeye from M*A*S*H* style Ratchet rather than the Bones from Star Trek one we have here. We kind of saw it at the beginning of the old 'Warrior School' story from Marvel and I felt a little hint of it in Devastation I think.

Otherwise, very cool stuff. Whirl's pointy, almost alien like design and savage attitude is very nifty.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Red Dave Prime wrote: I think I raised this point in the thread for #2 but it does seem to be a bit of a miss-fire that the Lost Light is miles from cybertron, totally lost and yet nobody seems too concerned with an Autobot that everyone thought dead showing up out of the blue. Also no follow up with the 1984 robots. Not a bad thing as such but I was kinda hoping they would be explained and dismissed sooner rather than later.
I'd prefer sooner than later as well. It just strikes me as something that the crew would want to address as soon as they were able -- yet his sudden appearance didn't even so much as receive a raised eyebrow from Ultra Magnus.

What I also find strange is that Skids would be welcomed aboard so easily considering the manner he arrived on that planet. He had an inhibitor claw clamped to his back and was being pursued by giant sword-wielding robots, suggesting that Skids was at least a prisoner of some sort. He's supposed to be dead and isn't even sure who he is himself, so how, as Terome kind of suggested, do the crew know this is the real Skids?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Fluff, but enjoyable throwaway fluff. It's hard to say that much about the plot as there wasn't really one and the Spark Eater managed to make the 1984 robots looks like engaging and deadly foes.

The are suffered for the first time though, there were points where it didn't seem to make any sense (Whirl goes from being behind a locked door to out in the corridor firing missiles in one panel being the most disjointed, though the script may be at fault there). Did I miss an explanation as to why the Eater suddenly went for Rodimus after seeming hell bent on Rung?

The highlight was the Cyclonus/Tailgate conversation, really deep thoughtful stuff in a nice contrast to the silliness of the rest of the issue.

Mind, the ongoing plots better not wind up being shunted altered or ignored in typical IDW style, if we end up in a Furmanverse situation having only the third issue as a standalone rather than dealing with any of the outstanding stuff from last issue will be very annoying.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Did I miss an explanation as to why the Eater suddenly went for Rodimus after seeming hell bent on Rung?
The eater goes for Rung, but Rodimus knocks him out of the way at the last second and gets entangled with Rodimus.
Mind, the ongoing plots better not wind up being shunted altered or ignored in typical IDW style, if we end up in a Furmanverse situation having only the third issue as a standalone rather than dealing with any of the outstanding stuff from last issue will be very annoying.
I'm kinda hoping we dont focus too much on the overall arc all the time. Yes, they need to both keep looking for the Knights and how to get home but I like the idea that the story isn't always focused on the big picture.

For me, Furman went wrong where everything needed to tie in together at the end. Worst offender being Sideswipes story being fitted in for the last issue of his run. Felt so out of place and unwanted.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Hey, nobody puts Sideswipe in the corner!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Colour repro feels subtly off somehow.

It's nice that Rodimus is starting to kick back at Magnus.

I could quite happily enjoy any number of issues with this kind of back-and-forth dialogue, where the characters feel rounded enough that they have their own preoccupations (but not to the point of outright predictability) -- on the other hand, this issue is really the resolution of last issue, and the cliffhanger's really a personal character moment. It'll be interesting to see how momentum's maintained when the overall arc is very open.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Silly questions but

A) does anybody get the title of this issue? or even how issue 1-3 tie together as Liars A-D (think thats the overall title at the moment)

B) with there being 2 spaces left on the "meet the crew" page, can we expect these to be filled or is it just bad layout?

After re-reading the first 3 issues of this I now no longer feel it is like star trek but more like Firefly. The characters are very much the appeal and the story feels secondary - just like Firefly (imo anyway)

Oh, and Happy St. Patricks Day to you all from an Irish Transfanatic.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Red Dave Prime wrote:Silly questions but

A) does anybody get the title of this issue? or even how issue 1-3 tie together as Liars A-D (think thats the overall title at the moment)
From what I've heard, I think, at The Allspark or the IDW forums is that it's a tribute to Liars A to E, a tune by Dexy's Midnight Runners.
B) with there being 2 spaces left on the "meet the crew" page, can we expect these to be filled or is it just bad layout?
Was thinking that too. Grimlock's still out there, isn't he?

Hey, if Skids can happen upon the Lost Light, then I figure why not Grimlock too? I know Roberts was deliberately vague about his and the Dinobots whereabouts in that one interview...
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Hey, if Skids can happen upon the Lost Light, then I figure why not Grimlock too? I know Roberts was deliberately vague about his and the Dinobots whereabouts in that one interview...
True indeed. I'd be intererested in seeing how roberts would deal with grimlock - especially after the events on G9.

I'd also be curious if they came across a renegade bunch of decepticons who dont realise the war is over - Bludgeon and the monstorcons would be a good rival faction. They could become a recurring enemy. And it would give Tailgate a chance to see how his fellow decepticons behave :)
zigzagger

Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #4

Post by zigzagger »

This is your all purpose Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #4 reaction and discussion thread.

Preview @ Comic Book Resources.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

More mystery and intrigue, something this title excels at. Looking forward to this.

More world building too, which I love, though it's pretty clear (to me anyway) that Roberts is in love with the universe he's created ;)
Terome

Post by Terome »

Those plates, they spin so well! Am pleased again to see how readily plot points are firing. The mystery of Ratchet's hands is solved, tying in neatly to the whole forged / constructed cold thread. The Decepticon Justice Department edges closer to the spotlight after years of mentions, which I imagine will give a very real dimension to Tailgate's new fancy.

And what's this? More on the Primus, Mortus, Adaptus line from Chaos Theory? Details are unpacking like crazy.

Oh, and the possibility of Transformers having things downloaded directly to their brains is finally brought up. What are they doing with all those iPads they wave around, then?
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

"Its either very far away or you've invented the world's smallest drink"

I love this book :)
gregles
Protoform

Post by gregles »

I'm really enjoying the simmering resentment between between drift and ratchet in this series so far and and this judge dread-ish version of ultra magnus has real star potential for me.

Now that decepticons have the D.J.D. (Decepticon Justice Division) on the way, I couldn't help but noticing the similarities in there role within there faction between these D.J.D's and ultra magnus and these very nasty seeming D.J.D's might feel a slight kinship or maybe even team up to tame the chaotic bots on both factions, just my little guess.

New bot pharma is bound to be kitbashed by someone repainting the universe cyclonus mold and maybe adding a ratchet head or sculpting there own
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

More universe building. Or rather, building within the confines of the universe that Roberts has created. In fact, a lot of this issue expands on ideas and characters introduced in Last Stand of the Wreckers, and especially Bullets.

Overall -- It's the beginning of a new story arc and, thankfully, little time is wasted getting things up and moving, making a fairly sharp shift in tone. If the solicitations are anything to go by, I'm really liking what's being set up here.

----

Spoilerific notes 'n' stuff...

Ratchet and Drift -- At some point I'd like to know what Ratchet's deal with Drift is*, but I think the 'frenemies' angle works. The two have a good dynamic and play off each other well.

Drift is kind of a dork, isn't he? And yet, oddly -- terrifyingly -- I'm slowing finding myself endeared by his dorkiness. Who'd a thunk it? The two splash pages featuring him were a little disruptive, though -- unless it's meant to be parody, which is quite possible. Ratchet's grumpiness, thankfully, is reigned back a little bit. He's much more personable here and I'm reminded why I adore the character so much.

* - I have a feeling it's something that's, like, totally obvious.

Prowl Dent -- Transformers can have the same names in-fiction after all.

Delphi's staff -- Hmm. I wonder what 'old life' Ambulon is trying to conceal? There's the purple plating underneath the shoddy paint job, and he did take pity on those 'Genericons'. The Delphi facility is said to be on the edge of the D.J.D territory as well...

That, or all these "clues" are a deliberate misdirection. I'm probably reading too much into it, but, hey, that's what these forums are for.

First Aid is...quirky. I'd like to see him join up with the crew of the Lost Light, if only because Transformers books could always use more Protectobots. Did find it a touch odd that he didn't seem all too bothered that Drift had killed one of his patients, though.

Tailgate -- Aww, the poor little guy. He's having such a terrible time. He needs a big hug. Rodimus's 'lesson' struck me as being just as skewed as Cyclonus's account of the war. But then, the Aequitas trials were never made public were they?

Cyclonus might have overreacted there just a touch. Clearly there's more going on that will be revealed at a later time.

Also..."Soundwave's Anti-Neutral Pogrom"? What the hell?! That's pretty intense. Never knew he had it in him.

Pipes -- Nice to see more of the '86 minibots getting exposure and all -- even if he spends half the issue rapidly decomposing -- but wasn't Pipes also one of the crew members that was sucked out into space and free fell through that planet's atmosphere in the first issue? That's one hell of a recovery, and just in time to be this issue's designated red shirt, too ;)

Fortress Maximus -- I'll admit, I wasn't expecting that. Still, I wonder - Last Stand of the Wreckers ended May 2010; was his miraculous recovery planned that far back?

Maybe it was. That throwaway line in the 5th issue's epilogue - the one that left his and Springer's chances of a full recovery ambiguously up in the air - certainly set it up that way. Knowing that now, I'm not really sure I how I feel about this. While I've always been somewhat impartial to IDW Fortress Maximus - and let's be honest, Furman really didn't do a whole lot to distinguish him from the rest of his stock characters - his fate in LSOTW was (in my opinion) one of the series' more memorable moments. It was so...shocking.

I'll give it a pass for now. I will say, however, that Maximus's speech read...well, a little stilted. It was awkward, in a retro 80's info-dump-ish sorta way.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Oh come on, Maximus' speech was awesome in a jar made of awesome. A totally unexpected and yet logical feeling dramatic last page return. Whilst I guess he was crouching to aim the missiles on his back the pose was bordering on the Pat Lee though.

After the fairly self contained nature of the first three issues it's nice to have a proper two (? Presumably if the first trade is the first five issues) parter, and everything pretty much flowed as well as ever. And lo, more fast story telling, again, a year ago Tailgate's arc would have been drawn out for months, here he learns the error of his ways almost instantly (though he doesn't chose to become an Autobot either, so I'd say what he was shown wasn't so biased as to bring him fully round).

First Aid was indeed neat, and I especially liked the callback to Bullets and his interest in random Autobrands (complete with the one shot with the microfilm or whatever it was. Shame it's not clear here he was acting under secret orders rather than being genuinely nuts). Would it be too obvious that he'll be left in charge of whatever's left of Delphi as the new Autobot CMO when the dust settles? Pharma has "Secretly Evil" written all over him.

Pipes was good, the improv bar was nice (if nicked from BSG) and actual acknowledgement that Ratchet's character has changed drastically since Infiltration was most welcome. Overall, a top notch issue with improved art over last month as well.

Two more thoughts:

Is there any indication there's been any attempt at "Hey, we're alive!" contact with Cybertron? Their subspace equipment is clearly working and though there's a bit of a handwave about time lags it's slightly contradicted by First Aid's message reaching them within two days, and that previous issues have show interstellar communication to be pretty much instantanious no matter where you are (though the -tion series did tend to treat the Universe as a slightly larger back garden).

With it being five year since Wreckers and other time jumps before that, what year is it supposed to be? The last confirmation of a date I can recall is the 2007 sings on that auto-repair shop in Escalation. Are we in a 24 situation where the longer than real time jumps between seasons would have put Jack Bauer on the moon if there'd been a season 9?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!