Neophyte Amazon question.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Blimey, I'd love to see them pick and choose. If I went to one of theirs and they played Comfort Comes, Yes, Prologue to History, Baby Elian, Nostalgic Pushead and Sleepflower I'd die a happy Slag!
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

I think I've seen them do one of those, and that would be 'Yes'
"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Auntie Slag

Cool!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

I saw them on their The Holy Bible Live tour about fifteen months ago. Simultaneously one of the best and most traumatic live music experiences of my life.

They did come back and do a happier classic-laden set afterwards as well, just so we'd all be able to get to sleep that night.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

That must've been incredible. Archives of Pain, 4st, 7lb (I love the bleached white, cold winter's morning air bite of that song).

Did you buy that fancy Vinyl, multi-CD, book and knitting pattern combo set that was going for a bomb? I've lost my copy of THB somewhere. Some years back Fopp were selling it with the accompanying DVD for something silly like £4. Doubt its available for that now.

And I really have a soft spot for Lifeblood.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

I saw them do their "every single ever" performance at the o2 in 2011, and I had the temerity to complain they didn't air Repeat or Motown Junk, but opening with Loves Sweet Exile? Sold
"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Ooh that brings up a mildly interesting fact! Generation Terrorists was supposed to be called Faceless Sense of Void. Did either of you know that?

And I know this is a really stupid question, but I guess it was purely the A-side of every single ever? (National Treasures), because they had some flipping ace B-sides, C-sides and Freerides!

A-sides alone that must have been a 40-track setlist!
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

I thought it was meant to be the refrain from Little Baby Nothing which I can't quite remember. Hang on... Culture, Alienation, Boredom And Despair. I think I remember reading that, anyway
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Damn, I think you're right. Was Loves Sweet Exile supposed to be called Faceless Sense of Void?

And here's a brilliant image I've never seen before. Doesn't JDB look like a full on Rock god pimp? And they've got a reserve Richey in the back like one of the orange or green Seekers! (yeah I know, its a pasted together shot, sadly):

Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

Yeah, I think Love's Sweet Exile was supposed to be that. Also, the Glastonbury 94 sets are amazing, partly because Richie's guitar is very audible on the tracks that are on YouTube
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Did you ever buy the remastered Generation Terrorists they released a year or two ago? I was quite interested because the original copy sounds like it was recorded in an old school metal lunchbox.

I was hoping the difference was significant but I've always been worried its not much cop?

Was Richey really as bad as they say on guitar?
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Auntie Slag wrote:That must've been incredible. Archives of Pain, 4st, 7lb (I love the bleached white, cold winter's morning air bite of that song).
"I got through a live performance of The Intense Humming of Evil, I can get through this" is my new go-to whenever anything difficult is happening.
Did you buy that fancy Vinyl, multi-CD, book and knitting pattern combo set that was going for a bomb? I've lost my copy of THB somewhere. Some years back Fopp were selling it with the accompanying DVD for something silly like £4. Doubt its available for that now.
I was tempted, but my original CD is still going strong and I know I'd never listen to the extras.
And I really have a soft spot for Lifeblood.
Lifeblood's got some lovely stuff on there. Richard Nixon's a lovely disco pumper and Solitude is beautiful.

Send Away the Tigers is probably my favourite non-Richie album.
Auntie Slag wrote:Did you ever buy the remastered Generation Terrorists they released a year or two ago? I was quite interested because the original copy sounds like it was recorded in an old school metal lunchbox.
The notion of GenTer not sounding like it was recorded in an old school metal lunchbox just fills me with sadness. A massive part of the record's charm is the half-arsed low budget feel to it.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

I just watched the Glastonbury ’94 renditions of Slash & Bur-yu-yurrrn, Yes and PCP. Holy crap they're good, especially the latter! They should play that music before you jump out of a plane with a parachute and a gun, you'd win a war yourself.

I know what you mean about the crappy recording. Its just that when I've go iTunes on shuffle and a GT track comes on it sounds all muted and polite, like it can't even compete with Des'ree. I'd love a raw bloodied meat version. Closest I got was a few live tracks on a bootleg (Loves Sweet Exile and the original Heavenly version of You Love Us).

I remember hating Empty Souls for years. Its only recently I think its up there with some of their best. A stellar track.

Is there anything you would consider fluff (by their standards) that you love?

I utterly adore Forever Delayed.There's something he does with the guitar before and as the chorus kicks in and its like a shot of heroin to me.

Other fodder I love: Always/Never, Another Invented Disease, Drug Drug Druggy, The Year of Purification, Sepia, Dead Trees & Traffic Islands (that was written as a song to accompany an episode of Cracker, I think).
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

I'm starting to feel like this guy now!

Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

Auntie Slag wrote:Was Richey really as bad as they say on guitar?
His guitar only appeared on two tracks of their first two albums - the big guitar chord that runs in La Tristessa Durera and he's there on All Surface No Feeling. I think he was getting better as those Glasto 94 recordings show, but he would definitely get turned down in the mix on some tracks
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Auntie Slag wrote:I remember hating Empty Souls for years. Its only recently I think its up there with some of their best. A stellar track.
Lifeblood is what I've always called their "Radio 2" album. I love it, but the part of me that loves it isn't the same part that loves, say, Journal for Plague Lovers.
Is there anything you would consider fluff (by their standards) that you love?
Some Kind of Nothingness. Autumnsong.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Autumnsong is fluff? No way! That’s my favourite track on the Tigers album. Though I agree with every word of your Lifeblood description.

I went full on get-the-elephant-tranquiliser-shameless Blackadder-Goes-Forth-ripoff-quote bonkers on the Manics in Uni. I spent the whole first year doing nothing but playing their first three albums endlessly (stopping only to play NIN’s family friendly track, Closer).
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Auntie Slag wrote:Autumnsong is fluff? No way!
Mate, the chorus is "baby, what've you done to your hair". It's hardly Freedom of Speech Won't Feed My Children.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

But I always assumed by Baby they meant Nietzsche, and by hair they meant the cultivation of instincts and various cognitive faculties, a plan requiring constant struggle with one’s psychological and intellectual inheritances?

Ok you're right, it is fluff.

[Edit] That Nietzsche stuff I copied and pasted off the internet. I always thought Nietzsche was what the Russian girl from Captain Planet kept saying.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

I can't stand the harmonies in Autumnsong, but that's just me