Covid 19 / everybody PANDEMIC

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sades
Articles: 0
Location: I just took a DNA test turns out I'm 100% sick of this meme

Re: Covid 19 / everybody PANDEMIC

Post by Sades » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:54 pm

We're still alive, but no vaccine in sight, anti-maskers, mutated strains and restaurants and bars opening again might change that at some point.

Clay

Post by Clay » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:06 pm

I never gave an update on my doctor appointment! Because I'm still waiting!

I had my appointment on the 8th, and we concluded that given the time frame and the duration of my loss of taste, I most likely had covid sometime in early January, but was already recovered enough to not test positive by the time I actually got a test. I did get blood taken for a covid antibody test, but I'm still waiting on those results. They said the test itself doesn't take all that long, but that there's a massive backlog in testing so it'd be a week or more. And that was before all the snow and power problems (my power is fine, but I don't where the lab is that they send bloodwork to).

In the past few days, my sense of taste seems to have returned, so yay, flavor! But it's unsettling to think that, despite hiding inside, going to the grocery at the slowest hours, wearing a mask every time I go outside, etc., I still may have caught it. Of course, I may not have and simply lost my sense of taste randomly for a month when a highly contagious disease that causes that exact symptom was circulating, but that seems less likely.

Speaking more broadly, the US is creeping toward 500,000 dead today. I saw a blip on the news about a doctor in Texas, where the power is out for the entire state, getting fired for giving a small number of covid vaccines to anyone nearby because the blackout meant that the doses would go bad within hours and be useless. Pragmatism loses again.

Denyer
Articles: 2
Custom Title: Shooty Dog Thing

Post by Denyer » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:53 pm

Bloody ridiculous. Something health services here are doing routinely AFAIK.

It's looking more and more that antibodies don't necessarily form detectably without a strong reaction (and the only way to guarantee that safely isn't catching it in the wild) so wouldn't be surprised if that comes back clear as well.

Clay

Post by Clay » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:23 pm

Ah, I've screwed up some of the details. He actually administered the about-to-be-expired doses back in December, not during the current disaster.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/11/worl ... xpire.html

StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:12 pm

Denyer wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:53 pm
Bloody ridiculous. Something health services here are doing routinely AFAIK.

It's looking more and more that antibodies don't necessarily form detectably without a strong reaction (and the only way to guarantee that safely isn't catching it in the wild) so wouldn't be surprised if that comes back clear as well.
Certainly in my experience they're doing everything they can to make sure the stuff doesn't go to waste as one it's been removed from storage its either used or binned essentially.
The nurse I was chatting with when I got my first jab suggested that they'd have a large amount of cancellations/people just not showing up but it meant they were able to give more colleagues at the hospital their first shot and more vulnerable patients on wards too.

Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:46 pm

My work started mandating stricter mask requirements last week. Now, you have to wear one unless you're in your private office, alone, with the door shut. You can have it off briefly for eating and drinking, so long as the 6 foot requirement is met. Previously, the 7 foot tall divider between me and my office mate was enough to negate the mask requirement, but now a separation must be floor-to-ceiling. My office mate teleworks two days a week, and leaves by 1:30 other days. Then, I can close my door and be sufficiently isolated to have my mask off.

Someone who works in my building tested positive this morning. He let us know via conference call, and my supervisor sent out an e-mail to our group. I wasn't individually notified as a close contact, and shouldn't be at any risk. He was only doing half days last week, so I don't think I even saw him. There's a possibility that he had a close contact with another coworker that I had contact with. But, I can't think of any coworkers I spent more than 15 minutes with, after a meeting Tues morning, before the positive coworker could've passed it to anyone.

Sades
Location: I just took a DNA test turns out I'm 100% sick of this meme

Post by Sades » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:12 am

In other Covid news ("news"): People continue to be stupid, still no vaccines here, and I continue to use the pandemic as an excuse to almost-happily sequester away from humanity in all but a digital manner.

The only things I really miss are powwows, visiting my dad, going to the museum and occasionally going to a movie. Oh and maybe not worrying that a random bug is possibly going to take me or someone I care about out- I mean even without Covid that's a possibility, but y'know.