[FICTION] TF: Genesis (fic)

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Rurudyne
Protoform

TF: Genesis (fic)

Post by Rurudyne »

Hello, my name is Ruic, and I'm apparently the sort of fellow who inflicts Russian-esque literature on the world. :wall: :rolleyes: :D

Anyway, years ago when the Beast Wars was still in first run I was coincidentally reading philosophy by C.S.Lewis. As odd as it way seem, there is actually a point of convergance between these two and out of this I told myself a story which I called "Genesis."

I never intended to write it down, though.

But things change.

On January 20 of this year I actually did start writing it down as if under compulsion. Except for final edits to the last chapters, what I'm now calling Transformers: Genesis is actually complete.

Some of my author's notes can be found on my deviantArt page.

The story takes place in the cartoon continuity inclusive of Beast Wars. More or less.

The above link will take you to the text as posted, which includes a title page and an important note about time measurements used. The last chapters will be posted soon.

I welcome any and all comments or criticisms. I've really had fun writing this novel and I hope everyone enjoys it.

After all, the worst thing that can be said is that it was worth everything ya'paid for it. ;)
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I'm probably not going to get chance to read it properly for quite a while, but I very much like the style of parts -- reminded favourably of Iain Banks. Not too sure about the daughters/girls stuff I glimpsed whilst skimming, but I assume that's all explained earlier...

"Not just one where they excepted to die"
^ Expected?

Would be very happy to host it if you'd like a copy on this site.

Oh, and welcome to the board!
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

Denyer, thanks! I'm glad you like what you've seen.

A lot is explained here and there. One reason I've said it was "russian-esque" stems from my style: not sure I skim well.

And thinks ;) for pointing out the wrong word! :) It's been fixed.

If anyone else spots any problem bits please point them out. I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

Some time ago I came up with: "The last edit you do is one edit too few." The problem is that you will often see the word that you expect to be there, and this was no exception.

As for posting here, I suppose I could alter my font selections to what's available: experiment a little. Though I love "impact" for drone speech (I used it for my pradulos – or "war machines" – in another as yet unpublished book) because it just feels right.

As for "daughters/girls," they threw in femmes for eye candy (which would explain the Barbie proportions, not a tomboy or full figure gal in sight) and then in the movie went one further and actually threw in "children" (at least just long enough to kill them all off – except for Wheelie, but his circumstances were different).

I only used "son" or "daughter" to describe a relationship to Cybertron (or any other homeworld, I suppose) as part of a poetic version of "Cybertronian" or just "Cybertron" (as was used in BW by the aliens).

One other odd thing about Lithone, not only were there crumb crunchers ("micro munchers?") but the ratio of femmes was much higher based on the screen shots.

Back in the day when this story first came to mind, this actually helped me to decide what was going on there, why Unicron came and why they were worried enough about the potential to have ships ready: Unicron was there because they were doing something they weren't supposed to be doing and – while he may be in rebellion against Primacron – he was essentially still performing his intended function as I saw it at the time. Namely: preserving Primacron's grand vision (or that portion agreeable to Unicron) by destroying the bits that don't comply with that vision.

Which would include the Alpha program that produced Magnus, so there must be leeway for the odd event (thus the "considered sparing" comment).

Now, before anyone thinks I'm saying these robots actually have special ... um ... equipment, please realize that they don't. At least not as far as I'm concerned. Even my doctor character confesses that they don't have any idea why they have gender – which is exactly the level of information that Primacron wanted them to have.
Standup Philosopher

Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

This is just a test to see what font works best in place of Impact.

default, bold, size 2

“Oh! 210SHX designated as Magnus, Sir! Would you please inform these energon sucking, bucket heads that I DO NOT NEED reprogramming?! I am functioning exactly within the parameters for my series, thank you very fragging much!”

arial, bold, size 3

“Oh! 210SHX designated as Magnus, Sir! Would you please inform these energon sucking, bucket heads that I DO NOT NEED reprogramming?! I am functioning exactly within the parameters for my series, thank you very fragging much!”

century, bold, size 3

courier, size 3

courier, bold, size 3

times, bold, size 3

Hmmm ... neither century nor times comes close to the brutality of Impact, so they are out of the running.

Any opinions between arial, courier or the default fonts?
Standup Philosopher

Denyer

Post by Denyer »

No reason we couldn't just stick with Impact on the site, giving a backup choice in the stylesheet for those not using Windows... anything apart from basic serif, sans-serif and monospace declarations may not map to a specific font on any given system.
Some time ago I came up with: "The last edit you do is one edit too few." The problem is that you will often see the word that you expect to be there, and this was no exception.
Yeah, I'm not great at proofreading for much the same reason.
while he may be in rebellion against Primacron
It's tough to reconcile Ron Friedman's work with Don Glut on CooP, as the latter rarely paid any close attention to previous stories or the show writing guide (eg, ignoring the character profiles he was given for the Dinobots.) In the season three episode, he doesn't seem to be aiming for much beyond "mad scientist overthinks, everyone comes back to life, comedy ending".

Personally I saw the Lithonians' readiness to leave as an awareness there was a rogue device or creature destroying planets. In cartoon continuity, they may have been another race of robots created as servitors by Quintessons, following the gender analogue programming added to the ancestors to make them more appealing purchases...
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

Denyer ... I always dealt with the cartoons at face value and the story reflects it.

Glad Impact may still be on the table ... er ... desktop.

I've gone through a little over half of the book in a final-final edit. Besides the bugaboo you pointed out someone else has been helpful to point out another.

If anyone sees a wrong word or something that just looks clunky, I'd appreciate the heads up. :)

BTW: has anyone ever done a South Park: Transformers! (G1) story? You know, where the kids play like their the robots?

I'm leaning towards the following cast choices:

Bumblekyle
Cartimus Prime
Stanjack
Starpip
Tweekatron

... and ...

Human Kenny (he's poor so Cartman claims there's no way he could ever afford to have a cool robotic body)

Anyone with suggestions for other casting choices?
Standup Philosopher

Denyer

Post by Denyer »

That seems to be the face value -- the Quintessons are the only race in the show that build robots who develop the ability to transform, so the Lithone 'bots are most likely theirs.

Based on what Don stuffed into one script, there's certainly a lot of material for fans to expand on -- Primacron being around since near the beginning of the galaxy, primitives being Transformers with animal alt modes (despite Sky Lynx being one of the more intelligent), what happened to Primacron after the episode, etc.

Don't think I've ever seen a SP/TF fic, though chibis are popular.
BWW 2000
Protoform

Post by BWW 2000 »

Originally posted by Rurudyne BTW: has anyone ever done a South Park: Transformers! (G1) story? You know, where the kids play like their the robots?

I'm leaning towards the following cast choices:

Bumblekyle
Cartimus Prime
Stanjack
Starpip
Tweekatron

... and ...

Human Kenny (he's poor so Cartman claims there's no way he could ever afford to have a cool robotic body)

Anyone with suggestions for other casting choices? [/B]

Surely this is just a version of 'Good Times With Weapons', except with the boys as giant transforming robots rather than ninjas?
That said, surely Cartman would be a Decepticon...? ;)
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

Originally posted by BWW 2000
Surely this is just a version of 'Good Times With Weapons', except with the boys as giant transforming robots rather than ninjas?
That said, surely Cartman would be a Decepticon...? ;)
To quote to the old sage: "Good artist copy, great artist steal."

As for Cartman being a Decipticon, while it is true that Decepticons get to be all sorts of "cool" things that Cartman is down with – selfishness, pride, putting down transformers from different ... robotic lines – his ego would prevent it. Simply, Optimus gets to say and do the coolest stuff. He's so cool that he even gets his own shameless knockoffs in every TF cartoon/comic ... AND they get to win too.
Standup Philosopher

BWW 2000
Protoform

Post by BWW 2000 »

Originally posted by Rurudyne
To quote to the old sage: "Good artist copy, great artist steal."

As for Cartman being a Decipticon, while it is true that Decepticons get to be all sorts of "cool" things that Cartman is down with – selfishness, pride, putting down transformers from different ... robotic lines – his ego would prevent it. Simply, Optimus gets to say and do the coolest stuff. He's so cool that he even gets his own shameless knockoffs in every TF cartoon/comic ... AND they get to win too.

Optimus Prime's motto is 'Freedom is the right of all sentient beings'...as this applies to hippies, Butters and Kyle, I can't see Cartman being Prime.... ;)
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

--->Hubcap
-Alex???
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

Originally posted by Aardvark
--->Hubcap
Are you are saying that Magnus reminds you of Hubcap?
Standup Philosopher

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

No I was suggesting Hubcap for Cartman
-Alex???
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

Originally posted by Aardvark
No I was suggesting Hubcap for Cartman

ohhhh ... my bad! :)

True, they both have the same basic shape ....
Standup Philosopher

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

And personality - check out his tech specs
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

I do have one matter to admit: when it comes to cussing I'm a real poser.

This is actually a problem for me, now that (as a result of my book) I have a seriously foul mouthed little drone on my hands. This thing can curse a blue streak sufficient to cause hardened veterans to blanch.

(Not that Cybertronians are an especially foul mouthed lot ... well, excluding maybe Ratchet and Kup.)
Standup Philosopher

LKW
Protoform

TF: Genesis

Post by LKW »

From what I've read so far - very impressive! A very creative, original take on Transformer... formation; I've never seen a TF story like this, I don't believe. When I have less going on, looking forward to reading more of it! (And this as someone who prefers the comic origin story - though I do like the cartoon, and prefer much of its characterization and some of its other elements to what was done in, at least the Marvel, comic books.) Nice work!
Rurudyne
Protoform

Re: TF: Genesis

Post by Rurudyne »

LKW ... thanks! I hope you like the rest.
Standup Philosopher

Denyer

Post by Denyer »

First off -- apologies, I think I had a PM from you, but in addition to nor really being here for a couple of weeks I've been through nearly an inbox-worth of PMs.

From what I recall;

-- No problem with retaining formatting + choice of fonts

-- Due to length, it'll probably be best to go with a chapter per page w/ jump links

-- I think you mentioned a PDF? If it's >200Kb (too large for attachment) could you email to denyer@tfarchive.com with 'Transformers' in the subject line of the mail? Ta.
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

Originally posted by Denyer
From what I recall;

-- No problem with retaining formatting + choice of fonts

-- Due to length, it'll probably be best to go with a chapter per page w/ jump links

-- I think you mentioned a PDF? If it's >200Kb (too large for attachment) could you email to denyer@tfarchive.com with 'Transformers' in the subject line of the mail? Ta.
I printed up and bound a few copies ... so I immediately found a few errors. :wall:

I'm fixing those and looking for more even now (only about a half dozen so far and I'm half way through). I'll send the PDF by e-mail ASAP.

As for fonts, earlier you had mentioned something about style sheets for alternate fonts in case of any problems, what to I need to do to accomodate that?
Also: as a side question, I'm having problems with the scroll-a-post (?) feature that saves on screen space. Some post show up as a single line and are hard to read. Is there a work around?
Standup Philosopher