[MOVIE SPOILERS] Movie Megatron full body CGI shot

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Fallen In Darkness
Protoform

Post by Fallen In Darkness »

Originally posted by Dead Man Wade
It's a giant, alien robot that turns into a vehicle of some sort. How is that not a Transformer?

What I said was much more than just the transformation process(and I hoped it was obviously understandable) Airplanes in Robotech can be regarded as Transformers? Or this 80s anime - I think it was called Phoenix - where the hero was like Inferno? Nope, though are pretty much similar.

To me Transformers characters should be recognized somehow even when they are adapted in a very different way (War Within, Hearts of Steel,Beast Wars etc) - esp in the comics they did a great job. I think in the movie, they go much too far with the characters they include. They could name them differently and intoduce a new style of bots (they did it partially) - this is called creativity...

But then who is going to spend his/her money for a TF movie with totally new and uknown robots? Still,I think at this case, they will be at least more honest with their audience - customers...

Of course all these are too much hypothetic words since none has seen the movie. Yet some facts can't be disregarded...
You ask me if I have a god complex? Let me tell you something. I am God.
[img]http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o236 ... oncopy.jpg[\img]
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by Fallen In Darkness
Or this 80s anime - I think it was called Phoenix - where the hero was like Inferno?

You mean that cheap Korean cartoon that stole animation models from everywhere? I think there's also one featuring a yellow Batman. :)
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
numbat

Post by numbat »

To me Transformers characters should be recognized somehow even when they are adapted in a very different way

New styles aside, Megatron has worn a lot of different masks (even ignoring the body) over the many lines. RID Megatron hardly bares any resemblance to the, say, G1, G2 or Beast Wars characters in any way, yet he was successfully marketed with the name in the West. (And, I should admit I am partial to him... ;) )

Throw in Beast Machines, Machine Wars, Armada and Cybertron [Lets face it, Energon was Galvatron turning into a kick-a** plane], and I'd say the fellow has a great range of appearances (face and body, not to mention alternate modes!). What makes them all so recognizeable as Megatron are the characterizations themselves.

Honestly, I like most of the Megatrons (bar Beast Wars - just my opinion, I know I'm in the minority there), and I think this design could be iconic if the character is portrayed 'correctly' (i.e. with a degree of consistency with previous lines), and with at least a modicum of intelligence.

Personally, I can't wait to see the guy on screen and to pick up the largest version of the toy (provided it rocks)! (The Legends scale figure is in the bag, without doubt.)

:)
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Airplanes in Robotech can be regarded as Transformers?
No. For one thing, they may have alien origins, but they're still piloted by humans.

Sorry, perhaps I should have said "giant, sentient, alien robots".
To me Transformers characters should be recognized somehow even when they are adapted in a very different way (War Within, Hearts of Steel,Beast Wars etc)
Except that, in the case of Beast Wars, people still complained.
They could name them differently and intoduce a new style of bots (they did it partially) - this is called creativity...
cre·a·tiv·i·ty [kree-ey-tiv-i-tee, kree-uh-]

1. the state or quality of being creative.
2. the ability to transcend traditional ideas, rules, patterns, relationships, or the like, and to create meaningful new ideas, forms, methods, interpretations, etc.; originality, progressiveness, or imagination: the need for creativity in modern industry; creativity in the performing arts.
But then who is going to spend his/her money for a TF movie with totally new and uknown robots?

And that's where the problem comes in. You can't please everyone, or the whole thing degenerates into complete fanwank. So, you aim for the largest demographic (i.e., not us).
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

It looks as if they raided a junkyard, right down to the lack of hands that can interact with objects...

There's a reason dolphins won't take over Earth, and you're looking at another variation on that theme. Hands (or even tentacles) are more complex than this:

numbat

Post by numbat »

I love those hands...

(I think I'd better be quiet now... ;) )
Fallen In Darkness
Protoform

Originally posted by Nevermore
You mean that cheap Korean cartoon that stole animation models from everywhere? I think there's also one featuring a yellow Batman. :)

Well maybe... When I saw it was like 15 years ago - even more and I don't remember any yellow Batman (what??? hahahahaha).
But it was definetely a movie and the robot was called Phoenix (well that was the translation...) and there was a real Phoenix going here and there happily... Also I am too lazy too search for its name and stuff... :D :D :D
Fallen In Darkness
Protoform

Originally posted by Dead Man Wade

...And that's where the problem comes in. You can't please everyone, or the whole thing degenerates into complete fanwank. So, you aim for the largest demographic (i.e., not us). [/B]

Also TF have been for once Headmasters and TargetMasters but then again they maintained their own personality - anyway it is quite obvious what we are talking about here.

I think it is quite healthy that not all of the fans are not satisfied - because of different tastes - as far as the different TF versions... However when it comes to the TF movie to me it seems like it is targeted to a totally new audience while they have the "diehard" fans for granted... (so they just give us the old names with everything different from scratch...) But what can we do for it?...

PS: I just hope that the main song is not singed by Britney Spears (sic...)
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Or this 80s anime - I think it was called Phoenix - where the hero was like Inferno? Nope, though are pretty much similar.
Please people, give Joseph Lai the respect he deserves; Defenders of Space is the aforementioned cheap Korean cartoon that stole animation models from everywhere. Y’know, you’re in trouble when Inferno [Phoenix] is the galaxy’s greatest hope.

And now something about that Megatron chap: Mixed feelings really – I like everything about him, aside from the head, which [Warning: IMO] is integral to the overall design. Ah well, different strokes for artichokes, or so the sayin’ goes.
-Alex???
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

Originally posted by Clogs
It's not going to be a toy.

What?

I like the design, except for those useless hands. The only thing they could do is blend a nice smoothie.
Blitzwing's Ghost
Protoform

Post by Blitzwing's Ghost »

WOW! Megs is techno-alien death gone extreme! This is what an alien war machine should look like, perfectly designed for ripping through other mechanoids or squishy little humans.
As for barricade, oh yes oh yes oh yes!! Another totally evil-looking decepticon suited for the job of making living things into dead things. Seeing those two lined up with Starscream, Brawl, Incinerator & Bonecrusher would give any military a jolly good thrashing.....OH YEAH!!:D
mongoosehuman
Protoform

Post by mongoosehuman »

It's a fine design, but I'm not sure about the type of villain they're trying to portray. This Megatron is literally a monster, but the best Megatrons (and yes, I consider BW Megs to be the best :o) were renegade political figures. Far from being simply evil, they had motivations and twisted hopes and dreams of their own. The only thoughts I see this one articulating is "RRRARRRRRR MEGS ANGRY MEGS SMASSH AUTOBOTS!"
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Tahukanuva:

That Megatron is not going to be a mainstream toy. A special issue for the fanboys/girls, yes, I can go with that, but would not regard it as a toy (are you playing with your Titaniums? On second thoughts, don't tell me...). Megs is wearing designer spikes and we all know that the toy industry cannot risk issuing anything that is really sharp or otherwise potentially pointy; he'd have to be soft plastic and that's the best travesty the tinies/rugrats/kids/gen2 are possibly going to get, and then the dog will eat him. It is quite probable that the toyline version will be whatever Megs turns into and then how he looks when he goes robot for the first time thereafter.

We'll see...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

I really hope they give Megs an Earth mode makeover at some point in the film.
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

Originally posted by Zisteau
I really hope they give Megs an Earth mode makeover at some point in the film.

alas i think that is the Eart form he takes my dear chum. the plane he is portraying is an experimental model apparently, or something there abouts... Why can't he just be a simple tank, or motorcycle, or hell even a stealth bomber! nope, they had to go sci fi all the way with an experimental jet theory XD
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
redman prime

Post by redman prime »

did anyone scroll through that sites pages and see how much more action there is there?

I think they suck, this is my only source for Tf news.

might as well all click on advertisements now.

and in a related note, Barricade looks badass.
megatron still isn't finished, there will be a cannon.

hopefully
life is great. then you die and leave everything to your wife.
Zombie Dave
Protoform

Post by Zombie Dave »

More absolute ****inn ****.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

Originally posted by Shockmeister
I am faintly reassured now that Megatron definitely looks suitably evil. Barricade, however, is more satisfying - he still looks like a 'normal' trasformer, what with the clearly-present wheels and whatnot. Nice.

Yeah, I was feeling the same way. Something tells me Barricade is going to be the coolest character in the movie.

I still don't like the crazy designs of these bots though. Things just aren't clear enough, particularly their faces.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

A bit amorphous, to be sure. Poor Megatron looks like crumbled-up barbed wire with teeth. He's interesting to look at, I guess.....that is if you appreciate modern/junk art.
GluteusMaximusPrime
Protoform

Post by GluteusMaximusPrime »

This design sucks as a transformer. Arnold Schwartzenegger should be fighting this thing in another Predator movie. I've heard all of the justifications for these "alien-looking" designs and I ain't buyin' it. If they're supposed to look so alien, why make them have 2 legs, 2 arms and a recognizable head; that's still a humanoid form.

People who justify these transformer designs based on the alien argument don't undersand that Hollywood's notion of an alien is based on our human distaste and fear of insect and reptile looking creatures with big teeth and claws. That has been Hollywood's design for alien's since horror/sci-fi B movies first emerged a half century ago. This is megtron is name only.

I will not pay for this movie but I will see it. I'll visit the movie theater in the day time and movie-hop from film to film, but I'll pay for some other title, not this Transformers Movie catastrophe.