80's Revival: Biggest Disappointment?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
DrSpengler
Protoform

80's Revival: Biggest Disappointment?

Post by DrSpengler »

Of all the products ressurected from the 80's in the past two years, which was the biggest disappointment?

I have been impressed with virtually all the products I've seen from my childhood make a comeback. The only real letdown (aside from Armada, but I won't get into that) was Thundercats. The first few issues tried to recapture the feel of the original series. Every issue was meant to be like an episode of the cartoon. Problem there is that the length of story told in one issue of a comic is only a fraction of the length you'd get in a cartoon. So the Thundercats were dispatching their greatest enemies in no time as opposed to how hard they were forced to fight to defeat them in the series (it took them FIVE episodes to originall beat the lunitacs yet they take them down in one issue. Weak). Then the second series decided to get all hardcore in the blink of an eye. She's hot and all but I don't want half a book of Cheetara fan-service. I quit after Dogs of War started.

But I know a lot of people who really liked the new Thundercats book so it really is only a matter of opinion.

Now, this one wasn't just a disappointment, it made me MAD. I looked forward to this one like you wouldn't believe. I counted the days, hours and minutes before it airred on TV. It was BIG to me. And what did I get? Ren & Stimpy having anal sex. GOD DAMMIT! Yeah, I know, it isn't an 80's property sinceit came out in 91 but it's still a fond memory of my childhood. So whyin god's name did they decide to make them GAY? I couldn't watch it after that. I saw a few episodes I think, and when they weren;t acting gay it was funny. But after THAT anal sex scene I had no interest in watching a mangled version of what I looked forward to every sunday afternoon. Thanks for NOTHING, John K...
Transfannabeel
Protoform

Post by Transfannabeel »

I thought transformers was a bit of a let down during the last few months, thundercats really never materilized enough to get a good comeback. I'm going to have to say nija turtles, don't get me wrong I like the cartoon, but there is something missing and the comic book isn't good. It doesn't even come close to comparing with the sucess of the original run. It just seems its more of the fans keeping it alive than the kids, which is a disappointment. If kids don't like it, it won't be something that will last for later generations.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Robotech-Both of Wildstorm's mini-series seemed to be a retread
of old material along with a weak side-story of new material that
is either boring or not intresting at least to me.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I liked the Thundercats series, but I had missed out on the first one until recently.

I never saw any of the new Ren and Stimpy episodes, but were you really surprised that they're gay? I picked up on that the first time the show came around and when it wasn't so explicit.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Originally posted by Sir Auros
I liked the Thundercats series, but I had missed out on the first one until recently.

I never saw any of the new Ren and Stimpy episodes, but were you really surprised that they're gay? I picked up on that the first time the show came around and when it wasn't so explicit.

When I was a kid it never really crossed my mind.

But none of the stuff they did in the old cartoon was nearly as disgusting as them actually having anal sex.
Ultra Magnus
Protoform

Post by Ultra Magnus »

Robotech the comics sucked and the toys were terrible too.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Originally posted by Ultra Magnus
Robotech the comics sucked and the toys were terrible too.

The Robotech Masterpeice collection are very cool looking toys but way over priced.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Wolfang

Post by Wolfang »

Worst toy revival: G.I.Joe Vs. Cobra
Okay; it started off without O-rings. They then added O-rings, and also 'Sound Attack' which wrecked some good weapon moulds. They then went on to make the 'SpyTroops' figures which was pointless because most of the Joes and Cobras have huge freakin' logos that show there allegiance and don't get covered when they put their disguises on. Then we progress to 'Valour Vs. Venom' which kills some O-rings for pointless action features a la 'Star Wars'. Oh... and they never made a new figure of Barbecue.

Worst comic revival: Don't know. The only ones I've read were the MOTU mini-series and an issue of G.I.Joe: Frontline. Neither was particularly bad.

Worst cartoon revival: Transformers Armada. Never appealed [sp?], so I never watched it. TMNT and MOTU are pretty cool though, so it's a process of elimination.
"I hold to a simple philosophy: assume everyone's a piece of c*** and then be pleasantly surprised if you find people who ain't."
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

The TMNT comic from DW sucked ass, as have most of the Voltron revivals (though I suppose that's Seventies, isn't it?.....meh...).
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

biggest disappointment? the fact that visionaries was/is nowhere to be seen
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Originally posted by CounterPunch

Well, it was only 13 episodes long, despite how good it may have been I can see why it's overlooked.

I think this year will be the last of the 80's revival. THe nostalgia craze is dying down pretty quick. All those 80's property comics are just warming the shelves at my comic shop rather than vanishing ten minutes after their release.

Too bad. That leaves us little hope for a Dinosaucers revival.;)
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

yeah i mean i think the g1 comic wont last 2 years, war within might go on for a bit and i assume that aslong as dw have the license theyll be doing a comic to tie into the main line
Wolfang

Post by Wolfang »

Originally posted by CounterPunch
AMEN! SIGN IT BRUTHA COUNTERPUNCH!
"I hold to a simple philosophy: assume everyone's a piece of c*** and then be pleasantly surprised if you find people who ain't."
God Jinrai
Protoform

Post by God Jinrai »

well... the joe toys... improved slightly. the Valor Vs. Venom mini-vehicles seem quite...interesting... and the remolds for snake eyes and stormshadow...well.. see em for yourself..

comic revival that I felt went down the tubes? Voltron. the idea that all five were mentally linked once they were in the lions... and now, most recently, red lion being openly TAKEN from arus.... somethin just is WRONG here.