[UK convention/other meetups]

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Cassey Coller is the latest guest who has been added, looks like it's going to be a packed convention.

I'm actually getting paranoid about my hotel reservation as the Hilton is now fully booked on the Saturday. I know I did book and have just accidentally deleted the confirmation email, but there's that paranoid feeling that I only think I've booked and a wacky sitcom situation will ensue when I arrive on the Friday morning...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

If only someone would invent an electronic communications medium by which you could contact them to double check! Some sort of point-to-point voice communicator, perhaps, or maybe a technology that allows you to send and receive electronic "mail" of a sorts.

Alas, no such thing exists. Oh, cruel world!
inflatable dalek

I've tried the website and it's confusing! I know, I know, phone them...

If you do make it to AA I may have to give you a slap.

[I'd forgotten I'd already worried about this earlier in the thread...]
inflatable dalek

And just because I know you were all worried, I did double check via phone (to clarify, the website problem seems to be they're not interested in hearing from you if you're not in their HHonors scheme, though I suppose with this being an annual thing I should really sign up) and I did just accidentally delete the email.

So the sitcom lifestyle will have to express itself in other ways.
Sades

Post by Sades »

So we're out for 2015. We're having sitter issues and I've had to quit my job. We'll live, but won't have enough to put away for a trip. We thought for awhile we MIGHT be able to pull it off, but no. We won't be able to.

:/ <- I make this face now. We're going to try to put money away for the next one... but, yeah. SIGH.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

If they do beermats again, will try to snag you some.

At the moment I think I'm going mostly to return stuff to Dalek, dump a bunch of stuff on the Mary's Meals table, say hi to people, see if there's any nifty art/script for sale and sit in on some panels. Most of the figures (third-party) I'm interested in are ordered. Kapow apparently couldn't be arsed to reply to an enquiry about buying stuff and collecting at the convention, and in any case don't seem likely to be stocking things I'm interested in in future.

Has anyone else had Jim Sorenson's "Legacy" book about boxart on order with Amazon and had about a dozen change-of-release emails about it? Personally I'm hoping they'll hold off on printing until there's nothing missing, even if the images aren't all suitable for enlargement.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

I think KAPOW do do that, I think they did so last year.

Similar experience for me...travel, sit on some panels, get some of my stuff signed, and see if Soundblaster and G2 Sideswipe, with Silverstreak can be found for cheap or marked down.

Maybe an impulse buy here and there, but that's it.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
inflatable dalek

Sades wrote:So we're out for 2015. We're having sitter issues and I've had to quit my job. We'll live, but won't have enough to put away for a trip. We thought for awhile we MIGHT be able to pull it off, but no. We won't be able to.

:/ <- I make this face now. We're going to try to put money away for the next one... but, yeah. SIGH.

:( It's no good, we're going to have to come to you instead.

[I assume this will put the kybosh on Warcry and Clay as well as the idea was for everyone to meet up and makes jokes at Hound's expense to his face?]
Denyer wrote: At the moment I think I'm going mostly to return stuff to Dalek,
We completely failed on the plan to meet up during the year didn't we? If you do ever feel like visiting Kidderminster for the day (there's the Severn Valley and...err...) you're still more than welcome though.

My plan this year is to force Knightdramon to buy me the most expensive alcoholic drink I can think of. Though I think his sister suggested on Facebook the eminently sensible idea of just bringing your own beer and keeping it in your room...
Clay

Post by Clay »

It's touch-and-go, mostly depending on employment. If I get enough graduate classes done by the end of next spring to slide into a teaching gig for the fall, it'll probably look bad if I take a vacation immediately to go to a transformers convention. Otherwise, I'll stay in the dinky job I have now for an extra year and get the rest of my degree for free, and also be more likely to make the trip.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

inflatable dalek wrote:We completely failed on the plan to meet up during the year didn't we? If you do ever feel like visiting Kidderminster for the day (there's the Severn Valley and...err...) you're still more than welcome though.
Mea maxima culpa. Tend to be peopled-out by the weekend. Will stick around more this time unless anything unforeseen crops up.
Dramon wrote:G2 Sideswipe
The KO is definitely worth considering.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Denyer wrote:If they do beermats again, will try to snag you some.
Thooooperrrrrr. I'm planning on doing this to them, if they have them. Well, someday. I'm a horrible procrastinator, and what I don't put off I forget about.
inflatable dalek wrote::( It's no good, we're going to have to come to you instead.
Absolutely, y'all can fight over the couch. Though tbh the floor is probably comfier, our couch is shit. :p

We'll make it down. Even if we have to take turns.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
inflatable dalek

Hey, when there was a chance you might be staying with me I was under orders to let you have my bed (which would be fine as long as you didn't use a UV light on it), I would expect exactly the same treatment, not the bloomin' couch.

The fact there's going to be a live band on the Saturday night suggests to me that, bar the script reading and cosplay bits, I'll be mostly in the hotel bar talking toot during the evening show.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I'm sure you'll all be overjoyed to learn that I will be in attendance this year.
I like bears.
inflatable dalek

Just the day or all weekend? Odd to think it's been... what, five or six years since you and I last met?

Closer to the convention (and when I'm sure I'll have the same number as my current contract is up) I'll PM my phone details to those who have mentioned they're going (Mr. Hayes, Skyquake, Ryan F and possibly Big D and Knighty if my number does change, that's everyone, right?) so as to facilitate meeting and greeting. I'm willing to act as a great big pimp bringing you all together.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

The full shebang, coming up Friday and heading home Monday.
I don't think it's been quite that long, maybe coming up on three or four though.
I like bears.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

That would be good of you Mr Dalek :) I'm coming down on the Friday and going home Sunday. Be good to meet you all. Yes yes yes
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

I have resurfaced! How's y'all doing? I'll be heading to Auto Assembly (my first TF convention) on the Sunday! I would do the whole weekend but my cousin selfishly decided to get married that Saturday. ..although it is only up the road in Coventry so that's a tasty bonus.

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
inflatable dalek

I has made t-shirt!

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/sta ... 25/photo/1

hopefully Geoff Senior won't secretly turn up and wrestle me to the ground to demand a fiver for using his art.

Hopefully, if I can actually find my sim card (do Vodaphone send it in a seperate package and just didn't bother to tell me or am I a complete and utter twazzock for not being able to find it in the box?) I will actually have my new phone sorted by this evening and so will start PMing people at the end of the week.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I'll be wearing... I dunno, this --
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/6 ... UX522_.jpg

Ideally aiming to get in around kick-off on the Saturday to check for one or two things on dealer tables that might sell out if they're there (IIRC selling doesn't take place on the Friday?) and am planning to drive to bring bits and pieces (which can be dealt with later) but other than that no real agenda.

Maybe Geoff's evil twin? The man himself being such a legendarily nice bloke.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Wow, lots of people...twice as much as last year.

Denyer, Dalek, my number is still the same and I'll be there from Friday [can't take the whole day off, so around mid evening for me].
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.