Universe (Classics 2.0) Onslaught revealed!

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

Universe (Classics 2.0) Onslaught revealed!

Post by Nevermore »

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

Looks great, now for the million-dollar question. Will he be able to combine with other Combaticons possibly coming out later?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I certainly doubt it, just by looking at him. No obvious connection points visible in robot mode, anyway. Which is all for the good, in my book.

It looks like he transforms into some sort of armoured personnel carrier. I wonder if he's the 'tank' we heard about earlier this month, or if there's still a real tank yet to be revealed.

He seems like a decent figure, aesthetics-wise.
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

Maybe Onslaught is really just a missle-less Cyb Defense Red Alert in SWAT colors.
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Wow, erm, that's pretty under-whelming TBH. It doesn't really look like Onslaught, and isn't half as good looking as most of the proper Classics toys from first time round. I dunno, just looks a little too much like it escaped from Cybertron for my tastes.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

That came out well. I can't wait to see the rest of it.
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

Looks good to me.
Come on and wind me up.
Railguard

Post by Railguard »

That looks pretty cool. If it doesn't connect with any future Combaticons that sucks...but it still looks cool. I hope they come out soon. :yawn: Me sleepy...time for bed....
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Originally posted by Sunstreaker2
Maybe Onslaught is really just a missle-less Cyb Defense Red Alert in SWAT colors.
Given that they have virtually no similarities in design, I think the odds of that are fairly slim...
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Wow, erm, that's pretty under-whelming TBH. It doesn't really look like Onslaught, and isn't half as good looking as most of the proper Classics toys from first time round. I dunno, just looks a little too much like it escaped from Cybertron for my tastes.
I can certainly see where you're coming from; when I saw the pic my first reactions were to go 'huh', then call up a pic of G1 Onslaught. After doing that I can pick out a lot of commonalities that didn't jump out at first, so I can see what they were going for. Even then, it still doesn't really scream 'Onslaught' to me...feels more like a random APC design coloured like Onslaught than something designed specifically to be him. But the original Onslaught was pretty bland, so I can forgive that if the toy itself turns out to be any good. :)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Warcry
feels more like a random APC design coloured like Onslaught than something designed specifically to be him.

That's pretty much my thoughts distilled... I'm not sure what else I would have done - Onslaught's toy and character model, as you say, are pretty bland and generic. My answer, TBH, would have been not to bother with an Onslaught Classics toy if a really good design didn't grab me, and this thing with its' thunder-thighs stolen from RiD Magnus, contrived shield and messy torso would have me looking for another character instead. I dunno, it has 'aborted Cybertron design' stamped all over it.

That said, Wave 1 of Classics was pretty mixed, so hopefully this is wave 2's Grimlock and the rest of them will be, like, good.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

It's not a bad toy, but as Onslaught? I mean, Onslaught's only real claim to fame WAS being the leader of the Combaticons. It would have made more sense to repaint Energon Bruticus a bit, and add two new basic models for Swindle and Blast Off.
numbat

Post by numbat »

I'm liking the design - a cool reimagining of a, erm, well, uninspiring and non-character.

Still, I like all the nods to the original design in there, and it's cool he's a lot more detailed and interesting to look at than the original. Still, the colours aren't the best, and, frankly, the figure will have to be pretty impressive in reality to sell to me. But it gives me high hopes for the rest of the line!

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

Given that they have virtually no similarities in design, I think the odds of that are fairly slim...

I meant that he had aspects of Cyb Defense Red Alert's VEHICLE mode, which was a large APC-like vehicle. He may have a vastly different robot mode, but his vehicle mode is most likely the same as Cyb Defense Red Alert, but with no missle.
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

It doesn't really scream "Classics" to me like the original line did.

As in "upgraded versions of classic characters". I find myself agreeing with Cliffy here.

But, as long as I'm satisfied with the Galvatron they're including in the first wave, I don't care! :D
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Originally posted by TFVanguard
It would have made more sense to repaint Energon Bruticus a bit, and add two new basic models for Swindle and Blast Off.
So...your solution to him not looking much like Onslaught is to toss him out and repaint a toy that has even less of a resemblance to Onslaught, and then tack on a Brawl and Vortex who don't even remotely resemble the originals, just for the sake of arbitrarily keeping the team as a combiner? :eyebrow:

I mean, sure, the Energon Combaticons were probably the best Energon gestalt, but none of the individual members look a thing like the G1 versions and the combined robot mode even less so. Tossing them into Classics makes even less sense than the previous Classics Devestator in my mind (and that was a strange call in its own right, since they had to effectively glue Hook and Mixmaster together into a single character to make it work).