POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Look what the EMS mailman dragged in today.

MP14 Red Alert: Nifty figure, clean paint, more paint than Sideswipe all over. However, he's overall looser than Sideswipe on every joint and can't grip his red gun easily at all. Just picking him up will throw it off his hand. Transformation is the same as Sideswipe despite the remoulded head, chest and shoulders.

MP13 Soundwave: Of course, what many think of as the main attraction. In this haul, he's not. I got an overall perfect sample with paint every place it should be, tight joints and no mismatched parts. Transformation is on par with MP Grimlock; simple, with new twists here and there, but mostly resembling the G1 toy. No crazy folding ala Rodimus and no panel opening and closing ala Convoy. I must admit I prefer tape player mode to robot. Should fiddle with him more, but I need to pack up most of my shelves to create space. He's occupying a tiny corner with MP Thundercracker at the moment. Laserbeak is fun.

Yamato's VF19 Fire Valkyrie: Oh sorry, not a transformer? Then how come, in a haul with two MP transforming figures, this one is the BEST? 20-30 percent die-cast content, pilot figure, opening cockpit, adjustable gun, hidden missile detail, landing gear and three modes of fun. Don't let the static pose fool you, it's EXTREMELY poseable. Got it on sale at HLJ for 13000 yen and it's worth every yen. Had I not gotten it with Soundwave perhaps I would have fiddled with the Decepticon some more. :lol:
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

Is that Valkyrie three times as fast as a standard Valkyrie?
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

LOL :lol:

That valkyrie used to be three times as expensive as Red Alert at least.

With the exception of the missile pods on the legs [barely visible in my pic], it's a non conventional combat model. It's main gun fires speaker pods on enemy mecha when in space, and in atmosphere the shoulders open up to reveal speakers. The pilot uses j-rock as his weapon :up:

[none of the above is a joke...]
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I got TF: Primes Vehicon two weeks ago and Knockout last weekend.
Destruction is my specialty
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

Snagged the entire run of the blindpacked Kreons. A few of them could use a little work, but over all not bad. I am going to have to find a way to cut the front of those stupid Kre-o flak jackets off though. All the figures have neat chests printed on them, but the jacket covers them up to let you put the back pieces on them. Incecticon, Airachnid, Bludgeon, Dirge, and Hook all suffer from this, as does Waspinator and Galvatron from the first batch. While Springer has a little tab on the front it's the same shape as the printing under it and the hole lines up with his Autobot logo. Some, like Singe and Rampage, come with jackets but stupid things to attach to them so if you leave the whole thing off they still look good and it's not a problem. Warpath, though, comes with one you put on backwards to give him his chest cannon. I'm okay loosing printed detail for a chest cannon on Warpath.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Wife's away so finally got a chance to enjoy MP-13 Soundwave.

He's everything I'd hoped for - the robod mode looks great, perfect proportions, and very well articulated. He can press his own eject button for crimeny!!!

His transformation is slightly more involved than I expected, but not particularly challenging. I guess to give perfect robot mode proportions they needed to tweek things slightly. The cassette player mode is superbly detailed - and even had a headphone jack that my headphones fit into. Quite brilliantly, the detail of the cassette mode does not interfere with the G1 cartoon simplicity of the robot mode. Very well thought out.

There are some other nice touches in the transformation I shan't ruin for folks.

I am terribly impressed by Laserbeak - very clever wee transformation and two great modes. I also love how he can securely perch on Soundwave's arm (or shoulder) and that Soundwave has the poseability to actually hold him there to get reports just like in the cartoon!

So, yeah, pretty awesome figure. But there are downsides:
- the rear of the cassette player mode has a few gaps at the bottom
- the batteries are exposed in cassette player mode (even WST Soundwave did this better!)
- some of the joints are very stiff, but consist of thin plastic - particularly Laserbeak, but some parts of Soundwave too...
- Laserbeak already had chipped paint on his cannons.

But issues are relatively minor - especially compared with previous MP offerings. That said, MP-12 Sideswipe feels sturdier overall.

Still, I am extremely pleased with MP Soundwave - he's a superb display piece, and actually playable without setting aside time (you have to schedule in MP-05 Megatron's transformation or you won't get it finished...).

Looking forward to the other cassettes!

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

One small tidbit. On the panels you have to open to pull his hands out there's moulded speaker detail [like RTS Jazz's speakers].

I'm also very impressed as to how essentially a rectangle can transform into a fully 3d bird with articulation points! He even has the camera on his forehead once you pull that panel up!

While Convoy's [MP10] transformation is challenging [not like Rodimus, but decent enough], Soundwave and Sideswipe are very simple. Quirky fun steps involved, but relatively simple to get from point A to point B, like Grimlock! [I'm not counting MP11 as a transformation because that's actually the second oldest in the line!].

Aaaaaaaand my good buddy numbat just days after you and I received our takara imports, Hasbro announces that they'll put out MP Soundwave with all five cassetes! :lol:
numbat

Post by numbat »

Ach well - on this one I don't care. I can't imagine the Hasbro release to be nearly so well built and nicely finished. Those metal feet really help the poseability.

:)

These figures are both very nifty. I really like Sideswipe's leg transformation, while Laserbeak is just awesome!

I think I'm hooked on Masterpiece figures.

So, is MP-10's transformation better than MP-01? And is MP-11's transformation fun too?

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Have you never handled ANY MP seeker? I'm probably not the best person to ask about their transformation, I've been transforming them since 2006 so I'm naturally tired of them.

MP11 is built differently from MP03 in the wings [they attach differently and aren't prone to breakage anymore], legs and torso, while the nosecone transforms exactly the same. The torso is pretty much identical save for the new clip on points for the wings and for the fact that the null rays aren't detachable.

It's simpler than ROTF LDR Starscream and the parts cooperate easier and fit together better.

The headsculpt for MP11 [Starscream, Tcracker or even Sunstorm] is PHENOMENAL.

mp10 transforms better [than mp01] in that it cooperates more with the user. MP01 had difficulty in locking\unlocking the lower legs, getting those damn hands inside\outside and fitting the head with antennae from that small hole in the back. mp10 has better locking\unlocking mechanisms on the lower legs, leaner legs in both modes [some panels come around to conceal\reveal vehicle parts] and there's no wrestling with the hands. Everything locks together for truck mode, whichever end you grab, you feel like you're grabbing a truck and not a pair of heavy legs or a big box with the other end dangling about.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Indeed, I have never handled any version of a Masterpiece Seeker.

:)

I'll try and sort that in the future.

I'll look forward to comparing the new version of Masterpiece Prime to MP-04 shortly. I'll probably only keep one of them.

Also items on eBay.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I lucked out on another loose PRID Vehicon off of ebay for £13 :) I has two now and still think this is the best Transformers toy of last year.
numbat

Post by numbat »

I do love PRID Vehicon - the leg transformation is brilliant!

Also items on eBay.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Skyquake87 wrote:I lucked out on another loose PRID Vehicon off of ebay for £13 :) I has two now and still think this is the best Transformers toy of last year.
If you need more...get mine! They'll probably be cheaper :p
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

...shuffles over to sale thread...
numbat

Post by numbat »

Hasbro's version of the new Masterpiece Optimus Prime arrived this morning. Won't get a chance to open until later. However, he really looks very nice. The colours are not as bright as they look in some photos, they eyes are perfect blue to match him in the 1986 Movie, and the finish is very nice. He actually looks more of a Masterpiece than MP-04 Convoy, with nicer paint applications and finishes, which really surprised me! The robot mode also looks more consistent / complete than MP-04 from inside the box at least - again, this also surprises me as I though MP-04 could not be improved upon.

How he stacks up overall remains to be seen...

On a side note though: the courier who delivered my package knocked on the door and just left it on my front doorstep in full view of the street and exposed to weather. No slip was put through the letterbox. Fortunately I was working from home this morning, so ran down the stairs when I heard the knock on the door but the courier was already gone when I opened it! The box also had a huge hole in it, but fortunately the toy and its packaging were undamaged (had the hole been on the other side, it would have been though). Overall, this was a near miss - if I had not been home, would the box still be there? If not, I wouldn't even know it had been delivered! If it was still there, would it have been damaged by snow? Almost certainly. I actually had a book (Walking Dead Compendium 2 as it happens) delivered from Play.com that was left on my back doorstep while my wife and I were on holiday, and it was ruined by torrential rain (don't get me started on Play.com customer services surrounding this - I'm never ordering anything from them again!). Although I ordered Masterpiece Optimus Prime from Toys R Us, the courier used was the same in both cases - Hermes. Don't use them if you want a packaged delivered safely! And if you order from Toys R Us, watch out for the parcel as it may well arrive when you're out and just be left on your doorstep!

Also items on eBay.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

numbat wrote:On a side note though: the courier who delivered my package knocked on the door and just left it on my front doorstep in full view of the street and exposed to weather. No slip was put through the letterbox. Fortunately I was working from home this morning, so ran down the stairs when I heard the knock on the door but the courier was already gone when I opened it! The box also had a huge hole in it, but fortunately the toy and its packaging were undamaged (had the hole been on the other side, it would have been though). Overall, this was a near miss - if I had not been home, would the box still be there? If not, I wouldn't even know it had been delivered! If it was still there, would it have been damaged by snow? Almost certainly. I actually had a book (Walking Dead Compendium 2 as it happens) delivered from Play.com that was left on my back doorstep while my wife and I were on holiday, and it was ruined by torrential rain (don't get me started on Play.com customer services surrounding this - I'm never ordering anything from them again!). Although I ordered Masterpiece Optimus Prime from Toys R Us, the courier used was the same in both cases - Hermes. Don't use them if you want a packaged delivered safely! And if you order from Toys R Us, watch out for the parcel as it may well arrive when you're out and just be left on your doorstep!
Couriers. Don't get me started. :wall:
Wreck and Rule!
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

numbat wrote: On a side note though: the courier who delivered my package knocked on the door and just left it on my front doorstep in full view of the street and exposed to weather. No slip was put through the letterbox. Fortunately I was working from home this morning, so ran down the stairs when I heard the knock on the door but the courier was already gone when I opened it! The box also had a huge hole in it, but fortunately the toy and its packaging were undamaged (had the hole been on the other side, it would have been though). Overall, this was a near miss - if I had not been home, would the box still be there? If not, I wouldn't even know it had been delivered! If it was still there, would it have been damaged by snow? Almost certainly. I actually had a book (Walking Dead Compendium 2 as it happens) delivered from Play.com that was left on my back doorstep while my wife and I were on holiday, and it was ruined by torrential rain (don't get me started on Play.com customer services surrounding this - I'm never ordering anything from them again!). Although I ordered Masterpiece Optimus Prime from Toys R Us, the courier used was the same in both cases - Hermes. Don't use them if you want a packaged delivered safely! And if you order from Toys R Us, watch out for the parcel as it may well arrive when you're out and just be left on your doorstep!
Off topic from the OP, but you could get/make a box to put next to your steps. A friend of mine lives out in the country and was rarely ever home for deliveries, so she had her husband make a wood box with a hinged lid for people to leave packages in. Works like a charm.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Thanks Thunderwave, I may do that. That being said, I do leave instructions for parcels to be left in my blue recycle bin at the back of the house if nobody is in, but delivery men rarely do that...

Had a mental long and utterly pants day, so was very pleased to come home to Masterpiece Optimus Prime - and he damn well deserves the title.

Like I've said, I couldn't imagine MP-04 Convoy being improved on: how wrong was I! Both truck and robot mode are superior in the new version - there is little trade-off between the two: they both look and feel much more complete than MP-04.

The new new trailer is a vast improvement on MP-04's. Way more detailed, and with a lot more thought given to the various doors and features inside.

Roller is a neat touch, and has more going on than you'd expect. Plus he looks like he's just rolled out of the cartoon!

Spike is, well, as good as you could expect from such a tiny figure, but it's nice to have him to interact with Prime and the stacks of playset features after 30 bloody years of dreaming!!!! Woop woop!!!!

Then there's Prime himself. Things he doesn't do so well as MP-04? I do like the piston joints in MP-04, the independently articulated fingers and actually the wheels on his legs plus the energon axe. But that's about it. The new Masterpiece version has a way nicer finish, which is more cartoon accurate and actually looks less 'toy-like' and more display piece. The new head sculpt looks less simplistic and very cartoon accurate - plus the neck looks just like the 1986 movie! The eyes are perfectly painted just the right shade of blue too. I appreciate the fact the legs are more cartoon accurate now too, although the bulk irritates me a little. The Matrix is leaps and bounds ahead of MP-04's, although I can't get him to hold it - can Rodimus? (May bump him up my priority purchases if he can!) Oh - and I do love that his chest doesn't droop. I thought I'd feel more strongly about the lack of metal, but actually I think it let's the figure hold together much better without it.

Prime's back looks a lot more cartoon accurate too, and I like that he can store his gun, although the gun itself suffers a little for this.

It's the attention to detail that really won me over though - I was in love as soon as I saw the mirrors! Then the smokestack transformation! And how the panels all come together to give an actual truck cab, rather than a red box with blue legs hanging off the back!

Yup - I'd recommend picking this guy up. £99.99 GBP from Toys R Us in UK is money well spent.

:D

Also items on eBay.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Told you so. ;) Listen to me when it comes to recommending figures, heh

The gun storage is a neat throwback to Escalation issue 5...or 4.

No, Rodimus can't hold the matrix either. Rodimus has a lump of four fingers and a thumb. There's a "special", one-off matrix with the US edition of Rodimus that looks like MP01 Matrix but it's a different mould. Now that's a manageable matrix for both MP09 and 10!

There's a rumour generating that the van brothers have moved [forward, into?] the MP shortlist. Take it with a grain of salt though.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Oooo - I would love[/] an MP Ironhide...

(I'd be getting a fair collection of red Masterpieces mind!)

Yup - you're bang-on Knightdramon. I will look for MP-11 for sure now.

I'm also very tempted by MP-09 Rodimus, but I want the whole shebang - trailer and all. Trouble is - how do you tell if someone is selling the knackered first release or the corrected second release?

Also items on eBay.